Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas lies around the tree - Literally

Hey guys! I hope you're all getting excited for Christmas! I know I am. There was no way I couldn't while making this awesome Christmas tree skirt. My friend commissioned me to make her one, giving me a budget and asking me to come up with a series of different designs that I could make within said budget.

I did so, and we both came up with this design - a mix of all the different ideas I had produced. You can never design it right the first time round - you have to play around to see what looks the best. My friend knew she wanted the cream fabric and also green and red. Thus, the colours were set.

We added the applique holly leaves to just give it that little bit extra and I think it works really well.


I'd never made a patchwork piece that was circular before, so this was certainly something new to me! But I never say no to trying something new.

I found it quite easy once I had worked out the pattern pieces and how much of a seam I would need. Then I just cut the same shape from the backing and sewed together with a normal seam. I also did a top stitch all around the edge to catch the opening. All in all it looks pretty fabulous (if I do say so myself!)



My friend certainly looks like a happy customer doesn't she!? :D

No comments:

Post a Comment