Thursday, October 25, 2012

The monkey and the wrench

Well hello my dear followers!
I've been away for a while, I know, but I haven't forgotten about you! I have been busy making another cushion cover - yet again for one of my friends :)

I made it for her birthday and I can now safely post it on here as she's already got it! (I didn't want to beforehand so as to not give anything away)
So here is the design I used:




  It's called a Monkey Wrench block. I thought the name was apt! ;) it was something new, something I'd never done before and meant I only needed to use two fabrics instead of a larger amount. I did originally want to make the entire cushion from this design, but then realised that the pieces I'd need would be huge. So I scaled it down and made four smaller ones. They worked just as well and gave a different pattern than before.

I decided to use a patterned fabric, not realising how much more work this would give me, but im glad I did now cause it looks awesome. The other blue is a silk that I have had for 5 years now - It went with the other colours in the patterned fabric so I used it :)


The design is so pretty and makes really good close up shots. (Please see above) The entire thing did take me a bit longer than normal, although with the amount of work I've had its kinda mental that I actually had time to do some.
The other really cool thing about this cushion is its the first one that I have sewn my label into! I didn't want to sew it so it showed on the outside, I thought this would spoil the overall finish of the cushion. So I decided to put it in the inside of the top flap of my envelope back. Worked so well my friend didn't actually see it until I pointed it out to her!


So this is my latest project. I now need to a) finish my space quilt and b) start another smaller project :D - Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful cushion Louise! and working with silk must really test your patience - slippery? your piecing is perfect! Monkey wrench would make a cute pincushion too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That it could - i've never tried a pin cushion before!
    The silk wasn't that bad, I made my own ball dress once out of silk and satin - i found the satin worse!
    I'm getting the hang of 1cm borders on my machine now - I know where to sew to achieve them so thankfully my piecing is getting better with that!

    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete